SCD: HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW YOUR CRISIS SYMPTOMS..?

 

As someone living with sickle cell one thing I have come to term with is my symptoms.


Last week Monday, I was home and feeling extremely tired, 3 days prior to that, I have been losing my appetite to eat foods, fruits and even drink water. The highest I can do is to force myself to drink water by adding little garri inside the water.


So Monday came, I was so tired to do anything, with constant headache that paracetamol is no longer working for.


So I decided to go to hospital , before going, I already went to lab to run Malaria Parasite and PCV to enable faster consultation and diagnosis.


Getting to Hospital, I talked to the Dr , see me smiling, the result already show anaemia and presence of malaria parasite.


Though I really can't say how serious it is. I just knew that I will definitely be admitted even if not for blood transfusion.


Knowing fully well I will be admitted, I am still not comfortable, I still try asking if the Dr can treat me with drugs alone.

He laughed at me and said Kemi you are going on admission.


I just told him, I need to go back home and prepare,since I used my leg to come here. Though I was tired , I can still go back home.


Got home and receive some emails that I must attend to urgently.  I forgot about hospital and focus on the work.


Back to hospital, I was examined again, I needed blood transfusion.


Thank God I have my  brother with me who has same blood type with me.


Did I tell you? All through I was on call to attend to some work. After the call, I have to attend to a client on phone, the phone call was like 1 hr plus. 


Even at the lab, the were like you are not too pale, I have learnt to mask my pain or tiredness to some extent.


I never knew I will spent 9 days on that hospital bed.


After the treatment, I still have this constant headache even when I was obviously stable.


But the Consultant said you are staying here because of the headache, I told him Dr  give me drugs now, I will be fine. He said no, like he knew there is something more.


Friday evening came, I told my mum, I was feeling cold, I use one blanket, it wasn't enough, use another, it wasn't enough.


Ahhhh, my mummy has never seen me like that in many years. I knew she was afraid.


Within 5 minutes I was shaking like a fish outside water, the vibration was too much.


All I could say was mummy call the Dr,  the Dr came running with a nurse, my temperature has skyrocketed, I couldn't breathe again.


God just knew what was happening and sent the consultant to come at the right time.


Dr, check blood pressure, check temperature, body was so hot that the thermometer couldn't read it again, the nurse scream sir, the temperature is so high.


All I could say was to affirm I shall not die but live. The next prayers was God I am yet to fulfill my purpose don't allow me to die with my full potential.


My mum didn't know what to do? 

I used all my energy and said Dr please I can't breathe.


The Consultant ran outside to bring oxygen himself, open oxygen it was hard, ahhhhh! Which kind frustration is that, he  brought another one,

All through I was already given injection, yet the temperature and cold never reduced.


After 2 hours, the cold started reducing,  my veins collapsed, they have to use my leg, 


Drips upon drips, test upon test, injections upon injections.


After 3 hours of being on oxygen, I got some relief 

My mum, dad and Toba were lost, running helter skelter, buying this and that.


In all this, I am grateful to God, what if I neglect those symptoms and not go to hospital, 

What if I thought I was well and force my discharge by signing?


What If I thought I can manage it at home? What if I see no seriousness in it.

Two symptoms I don't joke with is tiredness and headache 


I follow my own advise. I kept telling sickle cell warriors, don't neglect symptoms like headache and Tiredness, they are not only linked to Malaria.


Infection  and malaria was actually the underlying cause. Even if I drink ugu, malt, milk , tomatoes, and all that, it won't even help the red blood cells that was breaking down at higher space because the underlying cause was never addressed.


My mother was so scared, I haven't had blood transfusion in the last 10 years , but this is me thanking God for sparing my life.


With God by Myself, I will keep winning this battle.


NB: this is how I showed up at hospital, 

I hope I am not the only sickle cell warrior that go to hospital with make up face even when she extremely tired or in pain.


I hate people seeing my face like a sick person.

Despite the extreme weakness I kept smiling through.

It wasn't easy masking all that with smile  I just wanted my mum to calm down.

   


If you had sent messages and I haven't responded, I will please give me time.

I love you all. All those who called, send gifts, I am extremely grateful. God bless you all.

1 comment:

  1. An SCD (warrior) patient, should always watch out for his/her self

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.