SICKLE CELL; NOT A SHAME

 

The first time, I posted about having sickle cell on Facebook, everyone around me tried to shut me up. They can't understand why I am  not ashamed of it. 

The next day my dad called me at 5:00am the next morning. My dad is not on Facebook, people have called him. 

He said , my daughter , please you are single , a lot of people have called me that you won't see a man to marry you if you keep posting about sickle cell on Facebook. They said posting on Facebook is larger than you saying it on radio or TV Station. 

I smiled and said, Dad will you allow me to hide my sickle cell from any man?. He said no. I asked again and I said dad everyone that have  called you know that I have Sickle cell. Are they not the same set that shame me with it?

I said talking about it myself has taken the power of shaming me from them and that's why they want to silence me by all means.

My dad said that's true and he prayed for me. 

Some people beg me not to tag them with my sickle cell story since they couldn't understand why I'm proud of being a SICKLER.

Just like people who called my dad to silent me from sharing my story, a lot of us are surrounded by friends who will keep us quiet when we want to share our story. Its funny that the same people will go about shaming you and spreading the news.

Do you want to kill shame, then you've got to speak out.

Shame loves being secretive and silence makes it to grow bigger. 
Kill shame by sharing your story because it matters.

#yourstoryinspires
#yourstoryisyourvoice
#yourstorymatters
#speakingoutkillsshame

© *Kemi Oguntimehin 
Aug 20 2019*

1 comment:

  1. The truth is that they're just go'n discriminate you and force you to be mute, so you don't get heard and also get help

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.